California Fire Funding Opportunities
This funding opportunity information is being shared on behalf of our partner agency, the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services. Please contact CalOES with any questions about the program.
Dear State Agencies, Local Communities and Governments, Private Nonprofit Organizations, and Federally Recognized Tribes:
The California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) has a new funding opportunity available through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) as a result of a presidentially declared disaster for the October 2017 Wildfires (DR-4344). HMGP can fund eligible project and planning activities for eligible subapplicants in accordance with FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Guidance.
We invite you to submit an Notice of Interest (NOI) for eligible Hazard Mitigation Project and Planning activities by January 30, 2018. The NOI can be submitted electronically via Cal OES’s HMGP web page.
Eligibility Requirements include:
- Must be an eligible subapplicant (State Agency, Local Government (City, County, Special Districts), Federally Recognized Tribes, and Private Nonprofit Organizations)
- Subapplicants MUST have a FEMA approved and adopted Local Hazard Mitigation Plan to be eligible for project funding
- 75% Federal cost share/25% Local cost share – State does not contribute to local cost share.
- Projects are limited to a maximum of $5 Million Federal share requested.
- Projects must be completed (including closeout) within 36 month performance period.
- NO CONSTRUCTION prior to FEMA approval. HMGP does not fund projects that are in progress or projects that have already been completed.
FEMA’s list of eligible HMGP activities are as follows:
|1. Mitigation Projects||x|
|Property Acquisition and Structure Demolition||x|
|Property Acquisition and Structure Relocation||x|
|Dry Floodproofing of Historic Residential Structures||x|
|Dry Floodproofing of Non-residential Structures||x|
|Localized Flood Risk Reduction Projects||x|
|Non-localized Flood Risk Reduction Projects||x|
|Structural Retrofitting of Existing Buildings||x|
|Non-structural Retrofitting of Existing Buildings and Facilities||x|
|Safe Room Construction||x|
|Wind Retrofit for One- and Two-Family Residences||x|
|Post-Disaster Code Enforcement||x|
|5 Percent Initiative Projects||x|
|2. Hazard Mitigation Planning||x|
|Planning Related Activities||x|
Cal OES will review NOIs for subapplicant’s activity eligibility, and will notify subapplicants regarding eligibility by March 1, 2018. Subapplicants who receive notification of an eligible NOI will be invited to a 2-day subapplication development workshop that will include detailed program information, guidance and information about FEMA’s Benefit Cost Analysis tool. Full subapplications will be due to Cal OES by July 1, 2018.
Please send all questions to the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program email box at: HMGP@caloes.ca.gov