Chief Executive Officer – Habitat for Humanity Monterey Bay (HfHMB)
Habitat for Humanity Monterey Bay (HfHMB) is seeking applications for the position of Chief Executive Officer to manage the organizational activities of the local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International serving Santa Cruz and Monterey counties. For the selected candidate this leadership position offers exciting opportunities for the growth and expansion of affordable housing along California’s beautiful Central Coast. With over 20 homes in planning and a growing ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) program for senior citizen homeowners and others, there is much to accomplish.
The leader selected will have the capacity to build positive relationships within the community, staff, and the Board of Directors. We encourage candidates to apply who are interested in a rewarding and challenging career in helping individuals and families achieve home ownership through the development of decent and affordable housing.
- A Leader with excellent verbal and written communication skills effective for all stakeholders, staff and volunteers.
- A Doer with a strong work ethic and an ability to overcome adversity and remove barriers while completing goals, commitments, and tasks within set timelines.
- A Multi-tasker who is able to effectively serve the needs and development of multiple projects across both Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties.
- A Director of Action who provides direction, advice, and frequent feedback to staff with accountability plans for completion of specific short and long term goals.
- A Collaborator who is able to expand and develop undertakings that enhance the vision and mission of HfHMB through networking with a wide berth of stakeholders and potential supporters.
- A Capacity Builder who pursues donations, competitive grants and establishes fundraising events and opportunities to give financial support to HfHMB.
- A Financial Expert who understands, monitors, guides, and directs the finances of the organization with frequent feedback to staff and the Board of Directors.
Responsible to: HfHMB Board of Directors
Staff reporting to Chief Executive Officer: Director of Operations, Director of Finance and Human Resources, Director of Resource Development, Construction Supervisor and ReStore Managers.
Organizational and Leadership Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage all operations to include resource development, revenue enhancement, construction, financial monitoring and reporting, staff supervision, marketing and community outreach.
- Lead HfHMB in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide timely and accurate information for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Continue to develop and support a vision and policies that guide the organization.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and staff on governance, budgeting, and Board development.
- Work and interface with Habitat International to ensure the affiliate is complying with policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and direction to committee chairs and show appreciation to all staff and Board committee participants.
- Monitor work products through frequent feedback meetings with Managers. Develop and follow accountability systems for goal measurements and completion.
- Develop and expand community partnerships and enhance existing alliances.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the State and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance HfHMB’s mission.
- Develop an operational plan to achieve the goals of increasing the number of housing units per year.
- Work with the Finance Committee to develop realistic financial strategies and goals, sustainable for the long-term viability of the organization.
- Collaborate with City and County staff as needed so that building project timelines are met, and comply with affordable housing guidelines and various grant restrictions.
- Pursue and supervise positive press and media attention including written and marketing materials, and the maintenance and updating of the HfHMB website.
- Oversee the family selection process for new homeowners by working with the Committee to assure eligibility procedures are followed by the applicant families.
- Ensure that volunteers are routinely recognized and acknowledged for their contributions, and develop a pipeline of regular volunteers for each building project and the ReStores.
- Provide timely performance reviews for management staff.
- Establish appropriate accountability measures for revenue targets at each ReStore and share sales data with the Board of Directors at monthly Board meetings.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into on behalf of the organization.
- Coordinate all audit activities.
Project and Construction Management:
- Aggressively seek new opportunities for land acquisition and future projects.
- Coordinate pre-development and construction activities to insure timely completion in accordance with scheduled timelines.
- Support the promotion, growth, and purpose of the ReStore retail operations.
- Provides oversight to ReStores working with ReStore Managers to achieve prescribed goals.
- Establish appropriate accountability measures to achieve revenue targets at each ReStore.
- Responsible for approving established goals to increase revenue and grants, fundraising events, and capital campaigns through innovative strategies.
- Build strong relationships with donors and community partners including public and private sector organizations across both Counties within our affiliate.
- With the Director of Resource Development, organize fundraising events and partner with other organizations to collectively raise funds.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support HfHMB’s mission.
- Lead the collective work of the full Management Team to assure HfHMB continues to operate a fiscally responsible annual budget with transparency.
- Preview and approve financial management reporting, including monthly financial reports to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors, and oversee the preparation of the budget process for independent audit review.
- Monitor cash flow, enforce financial policies for expenditures, and report concerns to the Treasurer and the Board.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of HfHMB, and submit to the Board proposed annual budgets and monthly financial statements that accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensuring maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Public Policy, land use planning or a related field.
- Leadership and decision-making experience with responsibility for managing people, budgets, and organizational plans.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills across a variety of different roles and entities (Board of Directors, volunteers, families, donors, governmental and community organizations, staff, and the public).
- Experienced leadership in the growing and complex development of a multifaceted nonprofit organization.
- Knowledge and experience with affordable housing, residential construction, financial strategies, real estate transactions, local development, and building requirements.
- Positive relationships with government leaders including elected officials and key staff.
- Successful experience in recruiting and building a cadre of volunteers.
- Masters Degree and/or Certificate in Non-Profit Management is desirable.
- Full-time position with a salary commensurate with education and experience
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Paid medical benefits
Position will be open until filled.
Email or mail cover letter, resume and references to:
Habitat for Humanity Monterey Bay
P O Box 8412
Santa Cruz, CA 95061
For any additional information, please contact Ron Buswell, Interim Executive Director at (831) 469-4663, Ext. 11